Wavetec Blog

Jim Shields

Jim Shields

CEO Business & Market Development Ltd, has joined Wavetec as an Industry Contributor for Wavetec Blog. Jim would be sharing insights and secrets with us about winning at the retail game. He is an established consultant in the Retail sector. With profound experience in strategy & marketing, brand research & development, store design and refits, and space and merchandise planning, Jim has helped redefine customer experiences at top retailers like Asda, Walmart, The Body Shop, Boots, DSGI, HBOS, J.Sainsbury, M&S, Orange, Tesco & Waitrose.

Subscribe Today

Is your Digital Signage Technology Relevant to Today’s Shopping Trip?

[fa icon="calendar"] Mar 28, 2016 5:48:20 PM / by Jim Shields

Shoppers are bringing physical and digital retail formats together.

They want the advantages of physical stores, such as face-to-face interaction with store personnel, products available for trying on or trying out, and the social experience of shopping as an event.

But at the same time they also want the advantages of digital shopping, such as nearly limitless selection, price transparency, personalised recommendations from friends and experts, ease of shop, and speed of service.

digital_signage.jpg

In the UK, 15% - 20% of all retail sales will soon come from digital retailing, and the other 80% of sales is already heavily influenced by it.

Shopping is becoming a more digitally-led, personalised, joined up and social experience. Consumers are in charge, and they will expect to see relevant technology in stores – and if their expectations are not met, they will vote with their feet.

Digital signage technology should add value to the customer and enhance their shopping journey – not be deployed just to massage someone’s ego.

The next time you see a screen in-store, try to determine how it can help the shopper to make a purchase decision, or help them to move around the store. If we as industry professionals cannot determine what value it adds, count how many shoppers actually pay attention to it.

blog.png

And I’ve not even started on the number of expensive screens I’ve seen with irrelevant content for the customer types passing by, or in the totally wrong location for the message being relayed!

Make sure that you are not making the same mistakes and speak to specialists to maximise the return on your investment.

Request a Consultation

Topics: Digital Signage, Customer Experience